Wednesday, June 4, 2008

the greatest feeling as a writer

I imagine fame and fortune would be fun, at least for a little while. But I had something happen to me during one of our shoots for Degree of Blood that could give those two aspects a run for their money.

One of our actors came up to me during filming to discuss her character's motivation. She was to have a small exclamatory piece of dialog in a frantic scene. After building up to that moment, she felt that it would be out of place for her character to react in the way the script was written. Her feelings were by no means derogatory toward what I had written. Quite the opposite, in fact. She totally "got" her character. So much so that changing a slight reaction within the scene would help continue to build upon the moment (and the rest of the scene) and her character's hysterical behavior.

I didn't need any convincing; she was completely right. Expressing in words how I felt at that moment isn't possible. It was "cool" to say the least. Just imagine putting a lot of work into crafting something, something that comes to life thanks to the actors, and have one of them come to you because he/she understands what you've written and wants to build upon that. As a writer, I can't imagine anything cooler. As the writer and director of Degree of Blood, I can honestly say that the movie could be a total flop and I will still have that wonderful memory.

No comments: