Monday, January 26, 2009

Review: I'm In the Basement (2008)


"I'm In the Basement" brings back that familiar old school scary story fun. From the unique homemade DVD cover to the witty dialog, Gonzoriffic are at it again. Directed by Andrew Shearer and staring Gonzoriffic's usual crop of great female talent, "Basement" is full of effective humor and storytelling. But it's Gonzoriffic's subtlety and timing that sets their movies apart from other SOV fare. I may be cheating the material if I point out things like the cracker box (look for it!), but that is just one of many unspoken treats to discover.

"Basement" finds us huddled inside a camping tent with four friends goofing off and telling scary stories. Something we've all done and can relate to. But when they begin to get harassing phone calls, the creepy factor gets turned up a notch. The ending has a nice twist that will make you appreciate the choice for blonds.

DVD is chocked full of goodies. Everything from the staple outtake reel to behind the scenes footage of "Basement's" premiere at Athens Cine in Georgia. Even the synopsis write up on the back cover will cause explosive laughter.

I can trust that when I receive a DVD wrapped in black and white poster art that I'll be entertained once again by the latest installment of Andrew, Monica, and Co.


For more information, or to buy your copy, please visit: www.gonzoriffic.com Tell 'em Val sent ya. You won't get anything free, but I'll feel better about myself. Ha.

No comments: