Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Favorite Game of Last Gen

My vote for the best game of last gen (360/PS3/Wii) goes to...



For me, it's easy. Nothing compares to Fallout 3 and exploring the Capital Wasteland. I'm sure it helps that I'm a post-apocalyptic nut, but the D.C. Wasteland is probably my favorite game setting... ever. I also really dug the V.A.T.S. combat system. Being able to target a huge mutant's gun-wielding arm and cause him to drop it was very satisfying. The combat system helped set Fallout apart from the run and gun FPS and made it more RPG-like. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would argue it's the best open world sandbox game ever. I could get lost in my own little world while exploring the highly detailed Wasteland. I recently played it in its entirety again, this time on PS3, and it's every bit as good as I remember. (I hit Platinum in 60 hours!) It really is a living, breathing place. And boy oh boy, I cannot wait for Fallout 4. 

Here are a few others that were noteworthy:


Oblivion - Sure, Skyrim is more polished, but Oblivion really set the stage well. For the record, I enjoyed the guild quests a LOT more in Oblivion than Skyrim. The Dark Brotherhood was one of the creepiest and most unsettling thing I've experienced (right up there with Silent Hill 2).


Bioshock - Ah, Rapture. How you blew me away with your amazing setting. Seriously, Rapture is my second favorite game world after the Capital Wasteland. Playing, I really felt like I was under the sea. I wish I could say I had a similar experience with Columbia in Bioshock Infinite. Even though it was obvious I was in a city in the clouds, it didn't leave as much of an impact. 


Super Mario Galaxy - There have been several revolutionary Mario games and this one is no different. It basically took what Super Mario 64 did to revolutionize the 3D game world and made it 10x more awesome. 

Also of note: 


Wii Sports - Hey, it brought many families together. I remember one Thanksgiving, my grandmother was even Wii Bowling. Good memories!


Rock Band - I don't even want to try to calculate the number of hours my husband and I have spent playing Rock Band. It left such an impact, it made Craig learn to play guitar and I now have my own set of drums. Take that, Chad Kroeger. 

All in all, I'd say we've had an amazing 8 years of games, and I can't wait to see what this next gen brings us!

No comments: