Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Inspired by: Guillermo del Toro

["Every now and then I'll post about someone or something that inspires me. To read a previous entry, see the entry about Darren Lynn Bousman. And for now please enjoy this little snippet about Guillermo del Toro."]

Reading del Toro's book that Craig gave me for my birthday ("Cabinet of Curiosities"), I am reminded how important it is to a creative person to keep notebooks. I used to keep one with me at all times and have started writing many a short film in those very notebooks. Then in 2011 the iPad came out. And while I absolutely love the fact that I've transferred all my writings and notes to plain text so that I can access them anywhere via Dropbox, I find that I don't do as much creative writing on my iPad. I do type a lot. And have typed several short film scripts on it. 

But there is something about pen to paper that gives my brain a jump start. It's like the creative process in my brain is physically connected to that paper. And I tend to brainstorm more and more efficiently when writing versus typing. So, in the spirit of del Toro and creative artists everywhere, I'm going to go back to carrying a notebook. 

Luckily my OCD did not have time to kick in and force me to go in search of the perfect writing notebook, because I found an unused composition book buried in my closet. I'm more than content with that!

Happy writing!

No comments: