Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Developing Characters Can Be Fun?!!!

Ideas come about in the oddest of ways. This latest project I'm working on came about in such a way, as I'm sure a lot of stories do, that wasn't what I originally planned. Craig made an off-the-cuff remark about making a bigfoot short. Well, I started outlining an idea I had and BOOM! a story was born. However, now "Project: Bigfoot" is shaping up to be much more.

When I started this project, I had a central idea in place which I would then have to build characters around. Once I laid out the action and various scenes, that scary thought arouse. I had the task of creating characters, giving them depth, and making them likable to the audience! Scary stuff to be sure. But this is the challenge that I think I've been seeking.

The thought of developing characters is overwhelming, especially when the project is new, but getting to invent these characters' personalities, their backgrounds, and even lines they deliver during conversations can be very exhilarating. I mean, I can do anything I want! It's so freeing. I think more than anything "Project: Bigfoot" (I'll reveal its final name soon) will be the launch pad to help me get into the groove.

No comments: